Thursday, December 31, 2009

JD States...

Two days ago, the lovely YB and I were driving home from NY. Conveniently we were in the beautiful area of New York's Southern Tier, an area that gets very poor cell phone coverage, when I decided to check the one day to one week old voicemail messages. The newer messages were from some guys I work with, Stan and RJ. I call Stan back:

Me: What's up?
Stan: Call RJ, there's a shoot he wants to pass along to you.

I call RJ.

Me: What's up?
RJ: Take this shoot. It's easy money. Use my equipment and I'll split the earnings with you.
Me: Okay.
RJ: Call Stan back so Richard can give you a call with more details.

Richard is a freelance guy I work with at a local college and, as it turns out, was the one who was originally supposed to do the shoot.

So I call Stan to tell him to give Richard my number. Stan calls Richard, Richard calls me, checks to make sure I want to do it. Then calls the client to give my number to him...

*whew*

The client calls me, I have a hard time understanding him because of the poor cell phone quality. I make out quick, national, The Price Is Right, HD, extra copy for my website. In short, I am the third guy in line for this job who can't completely make out what the client wants because of the poor cell quality in the boonies and somewhere in the back of my mind I realize things are degrading quickly but I do not have the wherewithal to back out.

Fast forward 48 hours.

I have just polished off a foot long sub and am finally making a comeback from yesterday's completely trashy and poorly planned shoot which had it's share of camera technical problems requiring multiple trips to Norfolk to get and drop off footage from a client who is not technically savvy, a short night's sleep followed by an early morning all in the pursuit of trying to please a client who can't even view what I shot on his laptop for which I will probably never see a penny.

But I feel the foot long sub working and am coming up from the hole I worked myself into back in the Southern Tier of NY and have a wife who is still awesome and amazing. Things are looking up.

1 comment:

ybdale said...

I "have a wife who is still awesome and amazing"


liar. I am going to eat chinese food and work out.

Followers

Contributors