It seems kind of odd to me that fireworks are legal in our area of the country. I'll admit they are not the biggest things you've ever seen, and that by local ordinance. But still, they're legal. A month ago YB and I walked into Costco and found two pallets of them on sale and I convinced her to let me buy the cheaper of the two (My reasoning was G and Z are still too little to take them to the big fireworks, or at least to make the trek...that and I really wanted to shoot some off on my own). Should the local government change its mind before then and July 4, I was going to be sure to have a set.
Our plans for the 4th remained pretty small. The Dr.s were in town visiting BP. So we invited them over for some food and a jaunt to our community pool which was a ghost town because of course the weather was cool and rained earlier in the day to boot. But we got almost two hours in once the thunderstorm cleared. After the pool is when the real fun began.
We got home and changed into dry clothes. Then the pyros, BP and I, went to look for some prime ground to set off some of the fireworks I bought. I didn't know how big they would be so the local golf course which forbade such practices earlier in the week was a prime target, made even more desirable from the rain that fell earlier in the day.
We all made our way to the fairway and set off a half dozen. Not the best show, but getting to set off your own fireworks makes up for the smallness. Even the bigger one we brought was pretty small...ish. So we made our way to our community's parking lot and set some more off. The best part of the night was yet to come.
I should say "night" is relative. The kids were starting to lose it as it was past their bedtime and the sun was still up. It was actually dusk when I set a firework on the pavement and looked over at Gman.
"Would you like to set this one off?" I asked.
You would think he was seeing the beauty of the sunrise for the first time. Of course I told him what to do and helped and held his hand as he did it, but that firework was the one that he enjoyed the most. Jumping up and down, clapping his hands and smiling and laughing the entire time. That one he enjoyed more than all the others, even the one we set off an hour later after dark (I wanted him to see what fireworks actually looked like) after the BP and the Ds had left and Z was in bed.
It was a great 4th of July. Definitely looking forward to next year.
No comments:
Post a Comment