Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Things I've Noticed This Summer (so far)

Everyone out there probably never visits our blog anymore because we never write anymore.  I suppose that's understandable.  However, today's post will shed some light on my thinking of why I will probably keep posting because it's been a crazy summer for YB and I and, goshdarnit, I've got plans.  ;)

What have I noticed this summer?  First off, waiting an entire year before taking a vacation (at least one that includes not getting sick and lasts long enough to validate the amount of travel you need to do to get there) is way too long.  Our trip to Seoul was AWESOME.  Stayed a mile and a half from the '88 Olympic stadium.  Ate awesome food.  Had tons of fun.  Celebrated Gman's first birthday.  14 hour flight there, 13 back.  Two weeks of relaxation.  Second, finishing house projects gives me an incredible sense of accomplishment.  All of the windows in our house are now new, well, except for the two upstairs which were installed by a previous owner and aren't circa 1950.  That feels great.  My plans for the house this fall is to have it painted, insulate it (crawlspace and attic), and possibly upgrade the electrical.  It is currently a 100 or 125 amp service.  I want to take it to 200.  Seeing the lights dim when the TV turns on is a bit much for me.  We will also have the garage painted.  It looks horrible.  Third, which should be first, is Gman is growing like a weed.  And not just in the physical sense.  He is cruising the walls and figuring out how to cross expanses that are just beyond his reach.  I can't wait to be able to take him outside and kick some balls or take him to a park.  It's going to be fun.

The fourth thing I've noticed is that the back of my mind is working on techie plans for the house.  YB will probably roll her eyes when she reads this part...which is a bunch of things actually.  I would like to buy another Airport Express to be able to play music wirelessly to the kitchen as well as the upstairs sitting room/future office.  I would also like to purchase some kind of network attached storage like a Western Digital Live hub or Apple TV pointed to an external drive.  When this all happens I would like to organize our current network layout.  Currently all our network and internet stuff, router, modem, YB's backup drive, live under a table in the corner of our living room because that is where our cable internet comes into the house.  It is a pile of cables and devices and no matter how many times I organize them, they all seem to get messed up and piled on top of each other in very short order.  So I would like to get them to a place where they won't be in the way.  I would also like to put my DVD collection on my computer.  95% of my computing is now done on my iPad.  When I'm on the road it would be nice to put something that I've got on DVD on my iPad which I can't do unless it is first on my computer.  As long as it's on my computer I might as well have a way to get it to the TV which is where a NAS running something like Plex or an Apple TV would come in.  And as long as the DVDs are on a NAS, I might as well put our music and pics on there as well.  YB and I share the music on both our iTunes accounts.  We could put it all on one library, same as the pictures, and be able to play it anywhere in the house or, if I wanted to get fancy, network back to it when we're away.

Fifth, iOS 6 is coming out soon.  Facebook will go away when that comes out because we'll be able to share pictures on a permissions basis (minus Facebook's shenanigans) which is what we're primarily using it for anyway.  This is where you'll get our news!  Yay!

Till next time!

4 comments:

aunt carol said...

What a great post, even though I confess to not understanding a large part of it. ;)

A while back I was researching how it might be possible to sign up for Netflix or something like that and actually stream it through the TV. Imagine my stunned disbelief when Ben told me it couldn't be done with a 20 year old television!

Babba-Gi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Babba-Gi said...

Mr.Blanding may require a 300 amp service for his toys.

jondale said...

I'll just hook my car up to the house and leave a brick on the accelerator if I need to get to 300 amps. I'm planning to take it to 200 this year if I have money left over after painting the outside and insulating the crawlspace and attic.

Followers

Contributors