Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Seriously, when did that happen?

I can remember the day YB and I brought Gman home from the hospital.  Even before we left YB's room in the maternity ward I remember thinking, "They're going to just let us leave?".  I mean, here's a guy and a girl who've been married not even two years, there's no class or certification I needed to show to the staff or the world that I was qualified to be a responsible parent?  For real, between the YB going to the hospital and her coming home I had the roof of our first house redone and half of the downstairs windows replaced.

Times sure have changed.  I still had my iPad 2, a 24" Core Duo iMac, and quite possibly the slider phone before I switched YB and I to Straighttalk which means a also true digital camera since cameras on phones weren't considered quality yet.  So young.  So innocent.

I think tonight was the first time YB had that moment.  That moment where you just ask yourself, "When I grow up, when did I become this adult responsible for for other people?"

Gman just started his third month of preschool.  Sometime in September his teacher sent a letter home saying that she would like to take time to meet all the parents by meeting them whenever they had time.  In our area that means the evening since it seems both parents of many families work.  At 5:30 this evening there was a knock on our door.  Gman was super excited.  Z was too because she lives vicariously through Gman's experiences at school and is excited to go because of him when her time comes.

Gman and I answered the door in walked his teacher.  She's super nice and Gman loves being in her class.  We hosted her for dinner.  Gman was all proud of her, she enjoyed the chance to see him in his natural surroundings and got a kick out of it when he wanted to say something and raised his hand to be called upon.  YB and I liked seeing how she interacted with him and he with her.  I got the biggest kick out of how he showed her nearly every toy in his room.

The most telling exchange, though, came from YB who asked something like, "Our son's teacher is over for dinner.  When did we become these kinds of parents?"

The adult world is such a strange one.  You never know when you're going to look up and realize with a greater clarity you're not in Kansas anymore.

No comments:

Followers

Contributors