Toward the end of this past Spring or early Summer I started running low on ammo (read golf balls). Seeing as how I never bought them before and having moved to a new area far away from my normal connected supplier I had no idea how much money was too much for a decent ball. No way I'm buying the best because, well, I'm just not that good. So I turned to UF. "Free" was his first answer, citing something Grandpa Joe had said in life though at the moment I can't remember because it's late and I'd like to continue my rambling. So, I took to eBay, being the semi-CB that I am, and scored 72 almost-pristine-or-better Pinnacles for $45 shipped I believe. Not too shabby. My golf bag increased in weight dramatically and I should be good through next year with that count especially if I keep find the number I do. Our condo is on Hole #4's fairway at the end of the long range guys.
I call stuff like this, "Value City". And you thought I was going to talk about the store...
Recently I received a letter from American Airlines stating my miles with them were due to expire but that I could use them to get a few magazine subscriptions. I won't go in to my thoughts on American Airlines nor the company they recently merged with (or were bought by...both are horrible and the latter doesn't even get name status in my book). The last time I flew American was on a borked trip to Boston for a lacrosse tournament. Connecting through LaGuardia on their new partner airline in a different terminal doesn't work so well when your inbound flight is late arriving and departing and you can't get to your connecting terminal without hopping a shuttle outside of security. That was two years ago. I have not flown them since. Prior to that I had only flown them once or twice in the preceding four or five years. Suffice to say there weren't many miles to speak of. Getting the dollar value of them wasn't even worth it. But I had enough to entitle me to a one-year subscription to a handful of magazines I would hardly ever read, or one magazine and a year of the Wall Street Journal (plus online edition). Can't argue with that.
I lost the letter.
I did not, however, lose sleep over the lost letter. The miles were nothing to cry about. Too much effort had gone into earning them.
Two or three weeks passed before I, again, received another letter basically stating, "It's now or never". Who can argue with that? I made my selections and mailed it back. The Wall Street Journal plus online edition and maybe two others I can't remember. Today I got the electronic confirmation and all applicable information to set up my online access to the WSJ. It was like being a kid in a candy store having access to all these articles that were forever behind a paywall prior to this day. All the super interesting ones that are buried, the ones that Drudge links to...I CAN READ THEM ALL.
I don't know if it is one of the signs of being an adult, getting excited about reading the WSJ, or having frequent flyer accounts with horrible airlines and getting everything I can out of their benefits even if I never fly them. I don't really know how much junk mail I've now subjected my our mailbox to by signing up for these subscriptions or how often I'll receive the "Your subscription will end in..." notices and they'll be sorry to see them go. But I do know that for the next year I'll get the paper without giving out my credit card number and a couple of magazines that will be travel reading when I'm on the road.
I call it value city.
4 comments:
G'ma Sc-...you've done her proud!
Did you know she was the Queen of K'Mart's 'blue light specials?' She was known to have seen the blue light flashing in the store, from the street, and pulled in to see what the special was.
Enjoy the articles.
I flew with American back when I worked at ITT. The stewardesses were so rough and curt the a customer who just wanted to use a bathroom ... well
it was my last flight on that airline. American used to have top billing in my limited experience but now... no way.
The overall magic of flying is pretty much gone unless you can find an airline that you like, gets you there on time, and is good to your customers. Options are limited depending on your preferred point of origin. 9/11 changed everything. The TSA is the worst thing that could have happened to the airlines, their baggage fees are the next. By the time you get to the gate you have no patience left for a delayed flight because you've already forked over cash to get your checked bag to its destination and been groped by your tax dollars at work. My solution is pre-check and packing light that way I can get to the airport when I want to get there, don't pay any extra fees and still have time to get a coffee before heading to the cattle car.
Was this city built on rock 'n roll, too?
:-)
Post a Comment