Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Grandpa Lives On...

If memory serves, which may not be the case this time around, I remember a point in time where GS made TD go snag a soda can to redeem the deposit value, a whopping $.05.  May not seem like a big deal, sending a boy around 10 years old to get an old soda can, except the can was in a street or off to the side of one and we had pulled off the side of the road to get it.  We were driving at the time.

I remember GS's trunk full of soda cans, beer cans and bottles.  He'd bring bags of them to the store for redemption.  TD has taken up his mantra, or used to at least.  I, however, have no use for collecting old cans and bottles.  My state does not do deposit redemption and I am always looked at weird when I return home and throw a soda bottle in the trash.  "How could you do that?!" is what normally follows that action.  Some piece of GS's thinking, or rationalization more like it, did make it in my brain, and it seems that Gman has picked up on it.  A tradition well worth writing about.

The condo YB and I rent is on one of the fairways of our golf community perfectly positioned to be at the end of the long range guys and a prime target for the hacks who need two shots get that distance but can't keep their ball on the course itself.  Needless to say, when it's a good week and the weather is nice, I can find anywhere from three to 10 balls in really good condition.  Our course is in a nice section of town and people try to keep that appearance so most balls I find are Nikes or Bridgestones or Titleist.  A few show signs of being helped out by a cart path or battle damage from a tree root, but, of the 16 balls I lost on my worst round ever this past spring, I've found at least 25.  Six or seven are on my mantle right now waiting for my clubs to come home from their recent trip out of state.

After my bad round this past spring I emailed UF to get his advice.  "How much should I expect to pay for golf balls?" I asked.  I can't remember the rest of the answer at this point because I am a CB.  But I do remember the first part.  "Free ones".  Can't argue with that.  The problem was those were hard to come by as the kids in the unit below us were generally the first to find them.  They've since moved.  And, being the CB I am, I found an auction on Ebay for 65 or 70 Pinnacles for $40 or so, all in near mint condition.

Gman gets so excited when I find a golf ball.  It's like Christmas.  "You found a golf ball?!?!".  "Yes, buddy, I did!".  Hysterical.  Today YB took the kids to the gym with her so I could get some office work done.  Reaching a point where I needed a break I donned my jogging shoes and headed outside. On my run I found a tennis ball next to the tennis courts.  Scooped that up.  Upon returning home I did my normal once over of the landscape between our unit and fairway and, wonder upon wonder, found a Nike ball in really good condition (It is now with the others on the mantle).

I went inside with newly found tennis and golf ball in hand.  YB, Gman and Zbug had gotten home a few minutes prior.  Gman was super excited that I found another ball.  YB informed me he found one himself.  Outside.  Now, to be clear, in order for him to do this he has to go past our main entry door so the ground inspection was intentional.

GS would be so proud.

Followers

Contributors