Speaking of a crazy sleeping pattern, I have a funny story to tell you about getting up 2:00 in the morning. I have been discovering the world of coupon shopping lately, and Harris Teeter recently held a super coupon shopping day just last week. It began Wednesday last week, and I, as usual, woke up at 2:30 in the morning that day. I tried to stay in bed, but I was too excited to save money on coupon shopping on the top of still getting used to the new time zone, I just couldn't go back to sleep.
So, that old saying, "The early gets the worm" spinning in my head and the fear that other moms would pick up all the almond milk and organic milk before I even get to the parking lot, I decided to proceed to grocery shopping around 3:30 in the morning.
3:30 in the morning, nobody was around except for a few grumpy employees. These are obviously the overnight workers that even JD believes that they deserve extra grace and mercy even if they are mean and unkind to you.
As anticipated, I had no problem picking up the groceries that I wanted to get. I obviously had zero competition. I brought about 11 coupons with me and proceeded to self-check out. When I finished scanning everything and clicked 'yes" button to "Do you have any coupons?" step, the computer asked for an employee assistance.
I asked one lady that gave me that look of "what are you doing up at 3 in the morning in my store" earlier to scan the coupons.
YB: Can you scan these coupons for me?
The Employee: Sure, but did you forget to cut them off ? Can you cut them off ?
Now, I've never had problems with the employees at the same store when I brought coupons without cutting the white blank spots off of the coupons after I printed them off of my computer. I just didn't realize that this was a big deal for the employees. But apparently it was, if they are working overnight.
The Employee: (Giving me that look of what the heck are you doing here making my life miserable? and reluctantly cutting off of some coupons) Ok. I scanned them all.
YB: Thank you so much ( tried to appease her grumpy attitude)!
I went back to the self-checkout machine and realized that my bill was still $35-- an outrageous and unacceptable price that I WILL NOT pay for.
(note: Ever since I began coupon shopping, nothing above $8 per trip seems to be acceptable to me. So, $35 is obviously a fortune ;p)
I also realized that some of the coupons were not doubled as it should have been according to the advertisement.
YB: Excuse me. Not every coupon was doubled.
Employee: the Super saving starts at 7:00 am.
YB: ( Very naively), then I'll just come back later. Can I have my coupons back?
Employee: ( Giving me a look of "are you seriously kidding me?") Well, I already put away the coupons and no one can open the drawer until the customer service person comes in at 7:00 am.
YB: Well, what do you want me to do?
Employee: Sighed. Let me get my manager.
A few minutes later a manager comes in, and the employee explained the messy situation.
Manager: (after listening to the story): You gotta be kidding me!!!!
By that time, I obviously felt really bad, but not as much as I was willing to give in and pay $35 for the grocery just to please everyone.
Manager: Ok. You are all set. I matched them everything and gave you another $10 discount.
As soon as I thanked them really loud, that employee gave me another look of (And this was the last one tee hee ;)) -- Just get out of my sight.
Well, so.. I got what I wanted, but I couldn't stop laughing. I kept reiterating to myself "If I were them, I would hate me too. "
Anyway, the lesson that I learned that day were...
1 Double coupon shopping doesn't start until Wed. 7:00 am, not 12:00 a.m. even though Wednesday officially starts at 12:00 a.m.
2. If an early bird is too early, then she is gonna have to try extra harder to get worms???
6 comments:
YB: Why not just bring your gun and rob the store?
Ha ha ha! I love that you're in our family--Gramma Scavo would be so proud.
Best line: "I felt really bad, but not as much as I was willing to give in and pay $35 for the grocery just to please everyone."
YB this is a HILARIOUS story!!!
But, when I'm there after Gavin is born, I'm going NOWHERE at 3 am unless it's to hold the grandbaby.
"If I were them, I would hate me too."
LOL
You're up at the same time I often get home from work. Too bad we don't live closer to each other. You could make me welcome-home-from-work meals.
;-)
@Babba: I would think that the employees hate a customer like me than a robber. At least, if they were robbed, they can make themselves feel better by calling the police. But, with a coupon nazi visiting their store 3 in the morning and making their entire staff miserable, there is absolutely NOTHING NOTHING they can take as a recourse but putting up with her. lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
@AA:
I heard about UJBP taking care of his meal at a food court. Tom thought it was funny, but I on the other hand was glad that I wasn't the only one who does it occasionally lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
@Mary:
A few days later, JD and I had some serious situation with cereal that I had to resolve immediately.
Even though there were three diff. cereals that were open, JD went for a new box of Oatmeal crunch while I was asleep. When I confronted him about it, he said,
" Well, the cheerio doesn't taste good with yogurt. So, I HAD to open it."
Yeah, he HAD to, HAD TO open it otherwise the world was gonna fall apart or he was gonna get sick or something.
So, I made him finish the cheerio box that night.
Then, he told me I am becoming more like YOU ;) So, I said I would take it as a compliment while he was finishing up those cheerios lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!
@Thomas:
the Confederation as always welcomes you with her arms wide open~
Ha!
The only time you need to worry that you're becoming more like me is when he opens the cupboard, pulls out that unopened box, and you've written on it: "Do not open till all other boxes are gone."
THEN you can worry!
Post a Comment